Gone with the wind.........

I had decades worth of recipes written on scraps of paper and 3 x 5 cards that I had been gathering since my teens, my Mom's, and Gramma's, wonderful family recipes of all my favorites ... my Mom's Chili Verde, her amazingly easy, flavorful Chop Suey, Granny's Chicken and Dumplings, desserts, salads, and of course, recipes for those marvelous soups and stews that warmed us on the cold blustery days... anyway, I had always intended to put them all into a book, or to at least digitize them so that they could be saved and shared. I loved those scraps of paper and never got around to it. Those grubby bits of paper and card stock, spattered by ingredients, creased and worn, soft from years of being refolded after use, and smelling oh so faintly of spices, felt real to me. tangible and homey. My mothers familiar scrawl, her funny little notes........Pulling out those handwritten treasures was almost a form of therapy, certainly they were a touchstone for me. They lived in a beautiful wooden and metal scrollwork box on a shelf in my dining room.

We found what was left of the box after the fire, we kinda recognized a bit of the metal scrollwork... my son pried it open while we held our breath, hoping that the once lovely box had somehow protected those vulnerable pages......
Once he peeled back the burned layers of what was left, a few charred edges of my treasured "receipts" fluttered out, then they just disintegrated and disappeared on the breeze.

So my mission now is to piece together those recipes, add in more that I find along the way, and get a cookbook published for my Mom. I think she would have loved that.

Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 15, 2010

Zuppa Toscana at Home


Zuppa Toscana at Home ~

Is it wrong to pilfer recipes every now and then?  I mean really, aren't all recipes just a variation on someone else's recipe in the first place?  If your moral compass says that it is wrong, then quick, click ahead to the next recipe, but if, like me, you find the occasional hint of larceny to be a wonderful spice, then read on.

This soup is a scaled down version of the wonderful Zuppa Toscana at a well known chain restaurant.  It is actually a breeze to make, fast enough for a weeknight, but I like to take my time on a weekend.  The flavors are rich, robust, earthy and need only a salad, or some crusty bread to make a complete meal.  I should warn you, once you make this, be prepared to get a lot of requests for it.  Mangia!

INGREDIENTS
1 lb ground Italian sausage
1½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 large white onion, diced
4 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
10 cups water
5 cubes of chicken bouillon
1 cup cream or half and half
1 lb sliced Russet potatoes  (about 3 large potatoes)
¼ of a bunch of kale, coarsely torn or chopped

Sauté Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.


In the same pan, sauté bacon, onions and garlic over low-medium heat for approximately 15 mins. or until the onions are soft.

Add chicken bouillon and water to the pot and heat until it starts to boil.


Add the sliced potatoes, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until soft, about half an hour.
Add the cream and just cook until thoroughly heated.
Stir in the sausage and the kale, let all heat through and serve.

Squisito!


No comments:

Post a Comment