Gone with the wind.........

I had decades worth of recipes written on scraps of paper and 3 x 5 cards that I had been gathering since my teens, my Mom's, and Gramma's, wonderful family recipes of all my favorites ... my Mom's Chili Verde, her amazingly easy, flavorful Chop Suey, Granny's Chicken and Dumplings, desserts, salads, and of course, recipes for those marvelous soups and stews that warmed us on the cold blustery days... anyway, I had always intended to put them all into a book, or to at least digitize them so that they could be saved and shared. I loved those scraps of paper and never got around to it. Those grubby bits of paper and card stock, spattered by ingredients, creased and worn, soft from years of being refolded after use, and smelling oh so faintly of spices, felt real to me. tangible and homey. My mothers familiar scrawl, her funny little notes........Pulling out those handwritten treasures was almost a form of therapy, certainly they were a touchstone for me. They lived in a beautiful wooden and metal scrollwork box on a shelf in my dining room.

We found what was left of the box after the fire, we kinda recognized a bit of the metal scrollwork... my son pried it open while we held our breath, hoping that the once lovely box had somehow protected those vulnerable pages......
Once he peeled back the burned layers of what was left, a few charred edges of my treasured "receipts" fluttered out, then they just disintegrated and disappeared on the breeze.

So my mission now is to piece together those recipes, add in more that I find along the way, and get a cookbook published for my Mom. I think she would have loved that.

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mom's Magic Thai Soup

I came up with this after having "Tom Yum Ga" at a Thai restuarant. I loved the soup and I noticed that my sniffles had disappeared... I knew that I could not dash out and pick it up everytime I wanted it, so I played around with flavors for awhile till I came up with this. Now when one of my kids, (and many of my friends) get a cold, they ask for this soup. They like to say that there is not a virus around that can stand up to the heat.

4 cups chicken stock
1 jalapeno, sliced (double this if you are brave!)
1 serrano chili, sliced
2 green onions, sliced
Juice of 1 lime
1 or 2 tbl of lemon grass, you can get a tube in the produce section of most major grocery stores(or a couple of stalks if you cannot find pureed)
1 Tbl Fish sauce (optional)
1 can straw mushrooms, drained
1 diced tomato (optional. This will reduce the heat, but it gives a nice flavor and color)
Few sprigs of cilantro, or about 2 tbl chopped, (more or less to taste)
handful of raw shrimp, OR 1 nice chicken breast sliced thin into bite size pieces

Bring the stock to a simmer and add about half of the peppers, onion and cilantro and add the lemon grass. Simmer for about 10 minutes, then strain and discard the veg. Put the strained stock back on to simmer and add the rest of the ingredients, continue to cook until the shrimp are pink, (or the chicken is done.) Garnish with a little bit of fresh cilantro and serve.
You can make it without any shrimp or chicken, and one time I even made the basic soup in a coffee pot at work, some of the girls in the office had a cold and volunteered to buy the ingredients if I would make them the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment