Gone with the wind.........

I had decades worth of recipes written on scraps of paper and 3 x 5 cards that I had been gathering since my teens, my Mom's, and Gramma's, wonderful family recipes of all my favorites ... my Mom's Chili Verde, her amazingly easy, flavorful Chop Suey, Granny's Chicken and Dumplings, desserts, salads, and of course, recipes for those marvelous soups and stews that warmed us on the cold blustery days... anyway, I had always intended to put them all into a book, or to at least digitize them so that they could be saved and shared. I loved those scraps of paper and never got around to it. Those grubby bits of paper and card stock, spattered by ingredients, creased and worn, soft from years of being refolded after use, and smelling oh so faintly of spices, felt real to me. tangible and homey. My mothers familiar scrawl, her funny little notes........Pulling out those handwritten treasures was almost a form of therapy, certainly they were a touchstone for me. They lived in a beautiful wooden and metal scrollwork box on a shelf in my dining room.

We found what was left of the box after the fire, we kinda recognized a bit of the metal scrollwork... my son pried it open while we held our breath, hoping that the once lovely box had somehow protected those vulnerable pages......
Once he peeled back the burned layers of what was left, a few charred edges of my treasured "receipts" fluttered out, then they just disintegrated and disappeared on the breeze.

So my mission now is to piece together those recipes, add in more that I find along the way, and get a cookbook published for my Mom. I think she would have loved that.

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Chocolate Soup number 2

Here is a less involved version.... less fuss, but really good just the same.. it is really just a lovely version of hot chocolate, but then, who really cares as long as it tastes good!

Ingredients
1 cup milk 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder 2 tablespoons white sugar 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions
Heat all but 2 tablespoons of the milk and the cream in a saucepan. Do not allow it to boil.
In a soup bowl mix the cocoa, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and the reserved milk and cream. Pour the cocoa mixture into the hot milk and cream blending well. Return mixture to bowl and garnish with mini marshmallows or graham cracker bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment